Fire code regulations require that you keep your kitchen baffle grease filters clean and in good working order. A thorough cleaning is the only way to ensure hood filters don’t become overly clogged with grease, which can cause the following problems:
- Impaired filtering capabilities
- Smoky air accumulation in the kitchen
- Excessive heat in the kitchen
- Increased air conditioning costs
- Extreme fire hazards
- Exhaust system strain
Maintain a clean kitchen, promote safety and keep your utility bills under control by make baffle hood filter cleaning a top priority. Depending on your cooking volume, this maintenance task should take place monthly, weekly or even daily. Here’s a look at the three cleaning methods you have to choose from.
Hand or power washing
This is an effective, albeit tedious way to clean baffle grease filters. Follow these steps to clean a filter by hand:
- Remove filter from the hood safely. Using a rag to protect your hand
- Place the filter in a sink filled with hot, soapy water. An alternative is to take the filter outside and power wash it.
- Scrub with a non-abrasive sponge or scrubber.
- Dry the filters immediately after hand or power washing them and reinstall them in the hood.
Save time by cleaning filters in the dishwasher. This method works well with hinged hood filters. Follow these steps:
- Remove a baffle grease filter from the hood.
- Open the hinged filter and place it in a high-temperature dishwasher.
- Fill the soap compartment the way you would if running a load of dishes.
- Make sure all residue is removed from the filter after the washing cycle is complete.
- Dry the filter completely and reinstall it in the hood.
A hood filter soak tank is an investment that saves both time and labor in the baffle hood filter cleaning process. Follow these steps to effectively soak your filters:
- Fill a soak tank with water, stopping 6 inches below the top of the tank.
- Add in degreaser
- Remove the filter from the hood and wipe off excess grease with a paper towel.
- Place up to six filters in the soak tank and allow them to soak overnight.
- In the morning, remove the filters from the tank, rinse them clean and they’re ready for immediate use.
We can also take care of this dirty job for you. Call for details.